Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Panera Chocolate Duet Cookie rip off


So we often go to Panera Bread on Sunday mornings to get delicious food and read the newspaper. It is a really relaxing way to start the day. One of my favorite things about it is the cookies we get. They have delicious Chocolate Duet Cookies. They call them that because they have milk and white chocolate chips in chocolate cookies. They also have walnuts. I tried to find a copycat recipe online but I couldn't. So I found a chocolate chocolate chip cookies and changed it up a bit.

Amy's Chocolate Duet Cookies

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup butter (I used half butter and half margarine butter is too expensive!)

1 small package walnuts
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350* F
Mix together dry ingredients (MINUS SUGARS) in a large bowl
Cream together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture
Stir in chips and nuts
Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet
Bake 9-12 Minutes

Well, the instructions I had first said combine dry ingredients and then later it said to cream sugars, eggs, and butter. So of course my freaking sugar was my already mixed with my stupid flour and cocoa powder. Anyway, it turned out okay. The batter was delicious!!! I know I shouldn't eat raw batter but I don't care, its yummy and gooey. These cookies turned out surprisingly like the original. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a rule follower and that goes with recipes too. I am always nervous to go without a recipe so it was nice to try to make something new without a plan. I think Chad will like them and they made SO many cookies that I am sure to gain a pound or two before they are all gone! In fact, I should take some to work, otherwise we are both going to get sick on these cookies!

11 comments:

Dea said...

Those look amazing... I might try this one! Paul loves Panera obviously given it's former name! ;-)

Anonymous said...

These are delicious! I ate too many tonight. Thank you for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I, too, love those duet cookies...there's really nothing like them! And, like you, I searched for the recipe online to no avail (and really, why would they give it out!?), so I am definitely going to try these out for an Easter brunch this weekend. Thanks so much for putting the work for the rest of us. :) Cheers!

Denali said...

i'm so excited to try these! i, too, LOVE these cookies. thanks, amy, for sharing.

Denali said...

i'm so excited to try these! i, too, LOVE these cookies. thanks, amy, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I hope these cookies come out crispy and chewy like Panera's duet cookie. I have tried all kinds of chocolate cookie recipes on line to capture the same texture and rich chocolate taste , but have failed miserably. My chocolate cookies always turned out soft and had the texture of a cake. I anxious to try out.
Maggie

Chameka said...

These cookies have a great flavor, but they are not as dense and intense and the Panera cookies.

Anonymous said...

Try using Dutch process cocoa to get these to look and taste more like Panera's.

Anonymous said...

I have some baking in the oven right now, that my son helped mix.... They smell soooo good & can't wait to try them!

hanballerina said...

I just made some to send to my big sister who left for college about a month ago. These cookies from Panera were her favorites so I wanted to make some for her. They came out fantastically. :] Thanks for the recipe. :]

Anonymous said...

I tried these & they were scrumptious! I did make a couple of alterations, including adding 1/2 teas. salt to the recipe & using toasted macadamia nuts. I would like to submit it to Allrecipes.com, using your name... hope that would be okay.