Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Eve, the ditch, and Chocolate Toffee Trifle



For New Year's Eve we decided to go to my friend Alison's house which is about 20 minutes south of where we live. It was 3 couples and my friend Kacey's three year old son, Evan, who is obsessed with Superman. In fact, he has a cape that he refuses to take off and if he for some reason is not wearing a Superman shirt and you call him Superman he will say, "Ahhm Clarr Kennn" which means "I'm Clark Kent." It's pretty funny.
So anyway we played games, ate food, and got stuck in a ditch! OH YEAH! Lots of fun in the 8 or so inches of snow we got. Fortunately we were right outside of Ali's house on the way home when it happend. We waited a long time for AAA to send us a tow truck so we decided to call one of our own. By the time it all resolved it was so late and the roads were so bad that we ended up sleeping at Ali's. It worked out well because I didn't want to drive home in that junk, especially with the New Year's drunks on the road.
But anyway, before all of those dramatics we ate some delicious food. I made taco pie cups, taco dip (see below), and Chocolate Toffee Trifle. I think it is my new fav desert. I used the recipe below but I made half of it for New Year's Eve and I kept the second half of the ingredients seperate for New Year's Day. Don't assemble this dessert too far ahead of time or it could get soggy.

Chocolate Toffee Trifle
courtesy of the Food Network

Ingredients
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Devil's Food)
1/2 cup coffee liqueur
2 cups fudge sauce
3 chocolate covered toffee bars (Heath Bars), broken into pieces
2 big containers of Cool Whip or whipped cream

Directions
Prepare the cake according to the box instructions in a 9x13 pan.
Cool throughly.
Poke the entire top of the cake with a fork and pour the coffee liqueur over the cake to soak in.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Slice the cake into 1 inch thick pieces.
Then line the bottom of a large glass bowl with a layer of cake. Pour 1/3 of the hot fudge sauce and a 1/3 of the Heath bar on top of the cake. Then top it with whipped cream. Repeat this two more times.
I used some of the chocolate sauce on the top to make it pretty.

Like I said, I only used 1/2 at a time and it made a big dessert. Enjoy!

No comments: