Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Monday, December 3, 2007

Grandma's Famous Chocolate Mousse


My Grandma is 89 years old and one of the best cooks I have ever had the pleasure to meet. She always had some home cooked goodness (minus the smokey links that I pretended to like). You could always count on grandma to have some pudding or cookies or pie hiding in the house somewhere! She currently lives in an assisted living home and recently gave my sister, Mary, and I her recipes to split between the two of us. I am really looking forward to the prospect of looking through the box of edible memories. I think what I love about Grandma, besides her sense of humor, is that her cooking is totally down home. She doesn't mess around with fancy shmancy gourmet stuff, she cooks with meat, potatoes, and other "all american" ingredients.
Every year for Easter and other holidays at my parents' house Grandma would bring her famous Chocolate Mousse. More importantly she would always bring it in a beautiful glass bowl shaped like a strawberry. I LOVED that bowl, I would admire it and fawn over it. When Grandma moved to the assisted living home she gave away many of her possessions and she was sure to give me the mousse bowl.
This Thanksgiving I carried on the tradition of the Chocolate Mousse. It is rich, creamy, and frankly too easy to believe. Deb cover your eyes, you will be appalled at this recipe:

Grandma's Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients:
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
4 oz package chocolate instant pudding POWDER ONLY(the fat free/sugar free is like 1.3 oz, it is basically the smaller box or 4 serving package)
1 cup cold water
1 large cool whip container (one size up from the small one)

Directions:
Combined condensed milk, pudding mix, and water. Beat until well blended. Chill 5 minutes.
Fold in cool whip and chill.

I know it sounds like it would be kinda gross but it tastes very good and it seems like it would have taken a lot of work. I had several people ask for the recipe at Thanksgiving, so here it is! Sorry it took so long!

1 comment:

Dea said...

Not at all Amy - sounds good! I've always said Americans make the best desserts and it's often with ingredients like coolwhip. Send me some chcolate pudding mix and I'd even try this! ;-) Although no coolwhip here, would have to use real cream maybe??? But I love chocolate mousse!

Decorations look awesome and I am so jealous of your enormous tree!!! Thanksgiving looked amazing - no Apple Mountain this year?

Miss you friend-I'll call soon, maybe next week or so when you'll be done with classes??? Let me know!