Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

What have I been doing all week?


I keep complaining about working on PBL (Problem Based Learning) all week. Basically, I am continuing what I learned last year in this conference but in a new way. In my school district we focus almost solely on Math and Literacy. And although those are VERY important concepts the MEAP (standardized test) scores are coming back with low Science scores. Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a connection there. So, last year and this year a couple of my colleagues and I have been going to a week-long conference about science instruction and new ways to think about Science. My goal is to create little scientists out of my Kindergarteners. You would be SHOCKED to know how much the children last year learned and grew from the new approach. The PBL approach allows children to gain their own understanding through experiences such as experiments and research. As with everything, my biggest challenge is to figure out how to apply this to 5 year olds. So, the work continues. Tomorrow is the last day for this year and we have a pretty good Science Unit on weather and science process skills. I can't wait to try it out on next years kids!
Oh, also, I can't wait for the weekend. OH, and I have next week off!!!! WHOO HOOO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a program there called Mad Science? Here they come into schools for an after school enrichment program and they have summer camps. I don't know if they're all over the country or not. www.MADSCIENCE.org

thanks for all the cyberstalking opportunities!!!