Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Lots of Gardening! - veggies

Well, its Memorial Day weekend which used to mean three days of sleeping in and goofing around. Now that we're homeowners holiday weekends become great excuses to work on the house! Ugh! Being pregnant makes some tasks a bit more difficult and I get tired very easily but the good news is that it all got done and we still got to do something fun each day, like go to the Tiger's game and go to a couple of bar-b-ques.

So, on Friday we bought our veggie seeds and then went to dinner. We bought watermelon, cucumber, corn, cauliflower seeds. We also bought a green pepper plant. I looked long and hard for potato seeds but then I thought, uhhh, potatoes don't have seeds! I called Dad and he filled me in on what to do. I was lucky (or lazy) enough to find some very well started potatoes in my cupboard. Apparently I had big plans to make a lot of roasted potatoes and I forgot they were in there!

So, last week we prepared the beds so we were good and ready to plant on Saturday. We planted a few rows of corn along with the little green pepper plant.


Then we planted watermelon in little hills and our cauliflower



Lastly, we planted our potatoes (with some significant 'eyes' which were more like fingers) and cucumbers. I think this bed is going to get hopelessly overgrown but Chad seems to think it will be just fine! :)


I am looking forward to keeping everyone posted on our veggie plant growth and development. I always think it is such a fun science experiment. Especially when the whole thing costs so little to start up!

No comments: