Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Just don't worry . . .

Okay, so we all know that I'm pregnant. I also have Crohn's disease which is an intestinal issue that is lots of fun, let me tell you! My disease is in remission right now and it is generally under control. In fact, with my medication I should be fine for a while. Of course, this disease like many others reacts to hormonal changes. Maybe you didn't know this but being pregnant messes with your hormones. There are a great many people that get a severe flare up of Crohn's right after they give birth when hormones are at their peak.
I went in to my Gasteroenterologist (well the PA, not my regular doc) today for a routine follow up after a small flare 6 weeks ago. I decided to ask her about what might happen after the baby is born, when to call, what to look for, what to do if there is a problem etc. She gave me some good answers and then said, "but just don't worry." Stress does increase an already existing flare but I found her statement hillarious.
'SURE', I thought, 'I will just forget all of the literature I read that said it is very likely to get sick after giving birth. I just won't worry about being too sick to get out of bed with a newborn at home that I am responsible for. I will just laugh off the fact that last time I got sick enough to go to the hospital for a few days, and I will ignore the fact that even if I catch it early, the treatment will be harsh enough that I will have to switch to formula.' Sounds relaxing to me! :)
Actually, believe it or not, I am not too concerned about it, I know there isn't much I can do to prevent it. I just found her response amusing! I just thought I would share!

1 comment:

One of the Bunch said...

These are words you'll be hearing the rest of your life! :) "Just don't worry..." Pretty impossible, isn't it?

Wait until the baby is here and everyone (including doctors) tell you "Just don't worry..."

I will pray for no further flare ups during the pregnancy or after birth.

I also recommend pumping as much as possible and freeze any that you can. If you're forced to stop nursing, keep pumping in order to keep your milk supply in full force. There are also things you can take to keep the milk supply up if it starts to decline. If you're interested in a good breast pump (a double pump), let me know. I'll tell you where I rented one when my little ones were in the RNICU. WELL worth the $45 a month (I believe it was).

Let me know if you have any questions. Pregnancy, labor and delivery are areas I have lots of experience in personally as well as a doula for several others.

Thinking of you (as I realize I just wrote a book).
-B