Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Cheesy Potato Soup


Honestly, what is better than a crockpot full of delicious soup on a cool fall day? Oh I know, add a bunch of cheese to it!
I got this recipe from Good Eats and Sweet Treats. The original recipe called for broccoli too but I wanted Chad to eat it. As it turns out he didn't eat any anyway, so I guess I could have had some yummy broccoli in there too! I also added some bacon, because really bacon makes almost anything better! This soup was so incredibly easy that I could totally make it on a weeknight after work. I always have these ingredients at my house! Its good to know I can have this delicious soup whenever I want. MMMMMM!

Cheesy Potato Soup

Ingredients:¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 (14.5 oz) cans low sodium, fat-free chicken broth, divided
3 cups peeled, cubed potatoes (about 1.25 lbs)
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped (I omitted this)
1 small onion, chopped
1 ¼ cups 2% reduced fat milk (I used 1/2%)
1 (8 oz) block 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I bought a 2 cup bag of shredded cheese and used about another handful from another bag. We like it cheesy)
2% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, for topping (optional)
chopped green onions for topping (optional)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)

Directions:
Whisk together flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth until smooth. **Set aside**

Combine remaining chicken broth, potatoes, broccoli and onion in a Dutch oven (or large saucepan). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.

Stir in milk & 8 oz. of freshly shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Add salt & pepper to taste. Top each serving of soup with shredded cheese and green onions as desired.

I then put it in a Crockpot on warm and it was good in there for several hours!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

isn't this soup great? i never knew that making potato broccoli cheddar soup at home was so easy... otherwise i would have been making it myself this whole time! :)