Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Monday, November 5, 2007

Alfredo - hold the fat


I really love alfredo sauce but once I looked at a full fat recipe and I have never again ordered it at a restuarant. I also looked at the fat grams etc. of traditional alfredo sauce and I nearly passed out! So I was so happy to find a cooking light version of alfredo sauce to try.
I got the recipe from Melanie's Favorite Recipes. She got it from Cooking Light.
I am going to post this on Presto Pasta Night on Ruth's wonderful blog.

I changed the recipe a little bit to suit our tastes and because I took out the cream cheese to soften and then I forgot that I did that and thought I was out of cream cheese. No problem, I used some ricotta instead. I also halved the recipe because only two people live at my house.

Chicken Radiatore Alfredo - Hold the Fat
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups 1/2% low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (I used ricotta)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups hot cooked pasta(I used Radiatore)
1 can pre-cooked canned chicken or leftover chicken breast
1/2 cup broccoli florets, cooked

Directions
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt.
Meanwhile heat chicken on stove and heat broccoli in microwave if desired.
Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

This was quick, easy, and delicious. I loved getting the alfredo flavor without all of the fat. Honestly, between the two of us we had 1/2 tablespoon of butter, less than a cup of 1/2% milk, a bit more than 1/2 a cup of parm cheese, and a tablespoon of lowfat ricotta. Seriously, no large amounts of fat anywhere. What a great way to get the yummy taste without the extra time on the treadmill.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

Amy, thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Perhaps now I can eat some Alfredo without feeling guilty.