Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Crohn's Disease SUCKS!

So, apparently, summertime for me means another Crohn's flare up. How exciting! UGH! I finally talked to the right person at the Gasteroenterology office so I could see the doctor. The 'wonderful' nurse there ordered blood work then apparently forgot about it. I called for the results after waiting for a week and she said, "oh, who ordered that for you?" WHAT!? She ordered it herself. My OB had already told me that my SED rate was more than twice the normal rate which usually means I am all inflamed somewhere. I also have some other exciting symptoms including lots of intense pain though it is usually just for a minute or two but it still HURTS! The other interesting thing is that being pregnant and having abdominal pain is really interesting. A couple of times my stomach will hurt and then I will get a little kick. Not great! :)
So, now I have to take steroids, specifically prednisone. I know what you are thinking, "Is that safe for the baby?" Believe me, my GI doc and I went over this before we even tried to have a baby. We talked about the pros and cons etc. And honestly, does ANYONE think that I made this decision lightly? It isn't like my doc was like, "Well, you aren't THAT sick and it might give your kid an extra head but its up to you." This is essentially keeping me out of the hospital again. Because honestly, if this doesn't work my doc said that will probably be the next step. I had to wait until I was healthy enough to get pregnant and it just turned out that I am having a flare up while I am pregnant. That is just how it is when you have a chronic disease. It isn't all that great at 26 to have to deal with all of this but oh well.
So, now that I am on steroids I hope that I don't have too many negative side effects. I am doing a "short burst" of four weeks of steroids. After this week I already start tapering off. It is a pretty small dose but I am really looking forward to the relief. Still, its not like I am not moody and emotional enough just from the pregnancy hormones, now with 'roid rages too, WATCH OUT! Poor Chad. Also, I was already super stressed out about weight gain from pregnancy and now add steroid weight gain. I don't want to be one of those humpty dumpty fat pregnant people. I am still looking kinda cute, I don't have cankles (calf-ankles) yet and I was hoping it would stay that way. I guess I have to worry more about getting better, life goes on.
So, any prayers would be appreciated but don't worry too much. Let's just hope the steroids work quickly, that they are a temporary solution, and that this is my last bout of Crohn's while I am pregnant with Mouser!

2 comments:

One of the Bunch said...

Amy,
You know I am here saying several prayers for you. I know that you've weighed all options and know the pros vs cons of the 'roids as it pertains to you and the pregnancy.

Try to get some rest and hopefully the 'roids offer you relief soon. I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs,
Bec

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, so sorry you are going through all this... Sending prayers and hugs your way.