Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tag! I'm it!

Becky, a former and future parent in my classroom has tagged me. The task is to list 8 jobs I have had or currently have. Here goes:
Babysitter:
From the age of 11 I babysat for a million kids in my parent's old neighborhood. People literally fought over me. I found it hillarious! I also worked at my Aunt Trudy's daycare for a while when I was in high school.

Bob Evans:
My first real job. I was a hostess and a waitress. It was a good job and it helps me to realize how hard people work in the restaurant business.

Jack's Fruit Market:
This was basically a small grocery store where I was a cashier and "worked the floor" filling the cheese and dairy case, chips, grocery, banana table, bulk candy, cookies, etc. It was a fun job for a while.

Day Camp Counselor:
One summer I worked as a camp counselor at a Christian day camp. I really loved it.

College Student:
As an undergrad and a graduate student I have found this to be one of the most important jobs I have participated in.

Student Ambassador/Tour Guide:
As a student at Western Michigan University I worked in a variety of jobs in the Student Ambassador office. We were like a welcome wagon for potential students. I liked giving tours and setting up special tours for school groups.

Hampton Inn Front Desk:
I worked for two different Hampton Inns for two different summers. I really liked that job, not too labor intensive except you can't sit down. Sometimes it was CRAZY busy and sometimes it was so boring that I couldn't stand it.

Kindergarten Teacher:
This is obvously what I would call my career. I find this to be my true calling and my passion in life. I LOVE being a teacher. I can't wait to meet my new kids and although this is the most exhausting job I have ever had, it is by far the most rewarding. I mean, I literally teach children how to read! That is a huge responsiblity and one I don't take lightly.

Thanks Becky, that was a fun survey. For being 26 years old I have done a few different jobs. I am glad that I did each of them because it kept me going through college to do the job that I love, but it wasn't easy. I guess it helps me to remember that I didn't have everything handed to me. I have worked straight through since I have been 11 years old. Most of the time I did two jobs at once. I guess that is why taking 3 classes this summer seemed do-able to me. I always do too much, oh well. I hope one of my next jobs includes the word "mom".

1 comment:

One of the Bunch said...

Amy,
You have had quite an interesting span of careers. Isn't it neat to look back on where we came from, time to time?

I am nearly certain you will get the promotion that you deserve. You'll wear your new job title proudly. And you'll be one of the best that I've ever met. Yep, you'll be a Mommy someday too! And I would bet money that you will be absolutely adorable pregnant!!! Maybe I'll even end up working where you deliver! Now that would be something, wouldn't it? :)

Have a great evening, Amy.