Figuring out how to be a newlywed in this crazy world!

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Okay, so we are farmers now!

Well, one day in early June we decided that we were bored so we went to Lowe's and spent $10 on two pepper plants and a few packets of seeds. Everyone said we started too late and that the seeds probably wouldn't amount to much. Well, we thought, what do we have to lose? So, we planted green peppers, red peppers, cantelope, cucumbers, and pumpkins in our garden way in the back of our yard. Over the past couple of months we saw the plants sprout and then all of a sudden there were huge creeping vines in our vegetable garden beds. I kept looking for a harvest but found nothing.
On Sunday, Chad called me way out to the gardens and said, "you won't believe all of the vegetables we have." I didn't believe him. I told him that I wasn't going out there and that he was mean for teasing me about my garden of leaves. I went out anyway and found this...


And then after we saw all of our plants we waited a few days and the vegetables got bigger and bigger. We have had some good rain and hot temps so today I had my first big harvest. Let me just say there is a LOT more where this came from!

Does anyone have a good recipe for cucumbers?
Have a good day everyone!

2 comments:

Dea said...

That's awesome! Good for you!

Pickle them!!!!

One of the Bunch said...

Fantastic Job! It's so nice to see that our work pays off. I agree with Deborah, you could pickle them. Or, if you want a easy, light snack, we peel them, dice them and put them on salad, eat them alone lightly salted, or cover them with italian dressing (and mix in other veggies such as tomatos).

Way to "grow"...